Nuclear Systems Analysis
The Nuclear Systems Analysis Department activities concentrate on Advanced Systems & Methods, Reactor & Fuel Cycle Analysis, Simulation and Methods, Applied Physics & Nuclear Data, Criticality Safety, and Fuels & Materials Modeling.
- Advanced Reactor Development
- Risk Methodology and Evaluation
- Facility Safety Assessment
- Multi-physics Reactor Performance and Safety Simulations
- Nuclear Criticality Safety
- Nuclear Plant Dynamics and Safety
- Reactor Physics and Fuel Cycle Analysis
- Nuclear Energy Systems Design and Development
See Engineering Development & Applications Department
- Advanced Reactor Concepts [1.9MB]
- Fuel Cycle Research & Development
- Generation IV (Gen IV) Nuclear Energy Program
- Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors (RERTR)
- Materials Disposition (MD)
- Nuclear Criticality Safety
- Nuclear Data Program
We contribute to the development of comprehensive nuclear reactions and nuclear structure databases, including nuclear data measurement, analysis, modeling and evaluation methodologies, that are implemented in basic science research and advanced nuclear technologies.
Other Resources / News Items
News Releases / In the Press
- Thorium: Better than uranium for nuclear power? — Temitope Taiwo shared his views about Thorium as nuclear fuel during a radio interview with Viewpoints radio magazine. To listen to the podcast follow the link and then choose “Thorium: Better than uranium for nuclear power? (May 22, 2011)” from the list of archived podcasts. (May 22, 2011)
- Q&A: Nuclear Power Expert Explains Japan's Crisis — Temitope Taiwo interviewed by Live Science (Mar. 14, 2011)
the new in nuclear
Ever since the beginning of the nuclear age, the peaceful use of atomic energy has revolved around the development and commercialization of water-cooled thermal nuclear reactors. Although those reactors have long generated a plentiful, carbon-neutral source of energy, they may soon no longer adequately meet America's needs. Argonne's expertise in designing a more resourceful and cleaner type of nuclear reactor has enabled enormous gains in the efficiency and safety of nuclear power.
- Argonne Now magazine (Fall 2009)
- Generation IV (Gen IV) Program - [ 73KB]
- Nuclear Criticality Safety - [ 98KB]
- Research and Test Reactor Conversion [947KB]
Toolset for High-Fidelity Reactor Physics Analysis [[an error occurred while processing this directive]B]
Argonne National Laboratory’s powerful reactor physics toolset, PROTEUS, empowers users to create optimal reactor designs quickly, reliably and accurately. The PROTEUS toolset can be used to analyze a fast reactor’s entire fuel cycle, including cross section generation, radiation transport and fuel cycle modeling. The modeling capabilities within PROTEUS enable accurate and efficient simulation, the key to reducing both design and future construction costs.
Last Modified: Thu, November 3, 2016 5:17 PM