The Mission of NE is to apply the expertise gained for Argonne’s historic charge of developing advanced nuclear reactor systems to problems of national and international significance.
Welcome to the Nuclear Engineering (NE) Division Web Site. NE is one of the divisions within the Energy Engineering and Systems Analysis Directorate of Argonne. The Division and its precursors have contributed to the development of civilian nuclear power systems for over 65 years, ever since the dawn of the nuclear age. Over the years, we have significantly expanded our competencies and applied them to problems outside of the civilian nuclear arena.
- Design and build the next-generation nuclear reactor system.
- Improve the operation and safety and extend the lifetime of current generation reactor plants.
- Reduce risks from proliferation of nuclear weapons capabilities.
- Be recognized and utilized as the world's experts on the nuclear fuel cycle.
- Apply expertise in nuclear technologies and related areas to advancing national priorities and Argonne initiatives.
- Ensure the highest levels of quality, safety, security, and environmental protection in advancing these goals.
Our mission is to (1) advance the design and operation of nuclear energy systems, and (2) apply our nuclear energy-related expertise to current and emerging programs of national and international significance. We conduct analytical and experimental research with concentration in advanced nuclear energy systems, nonproliferation and national security, and environmental management. Our extensive capabilities in modeling and simulation are applied in the development of diverse engineering systems and the optimization of their performance.
The NE Division’s programs are supported primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy through a number of its offices. Other sponsors from a broad range of U.S. Government and industry organizations also support work in the Division. We actively seek opportunities to collaborate with university, national laboratory, industry, and international partners in pursuit of their interests and our mission goals.
A brief up-to-date overview about the current NE activities and useful contact information are provided in the Activities section of this site.
I invite you to follow the links provided above if you want to learn more about the Division’s activities. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
Dr. Jordi Roglans-Ribas
Nuclear Engineering Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Last Modified: Tue, February 18, 2014 5:40 PM