“Getting to Know Nuclear Energy: The Past, Present & Future”
An Argonne OutLoud free public lecture by
nuclear engineer Roger Blomquist
ARGONNE, Ill. (Updated on Nov. 18, 2012) — On November 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm as part of a new public lecture series called “Argonne OutLoud,” Argonne nuclear engineer Roger Blomquist gave a lecture titled “Getting to Know Nuclear Energy: The Past, Present & Future.” The event was free and open to the public. The lecture was held at the Argonne Advanced Photon Source Auditorium.
Argonne National Laboratory was founded on the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and has pioneered many of the technologies in use today. Argonne’s Roger Blomquist discussed the history of nuclear energy, advanced reactor designs and future technologies, all aimed at the safe, sustainable, and secure use of nuclear power worldwide.
Roger Blomquist served as a nuclear propulsion officer on a US Navy nuclear-powered submarine and for an additional 26 years in the Navy Reserves. He has worked at Argonne since he was a graduate student at Northwestern in the mid 70s. His career has been centered on reactor physics and the 60,000 lines of computer coding needed to solve key questions in his field. He is one of the driving forces of the Nuclear Engineering Division Outreach Committee at Argonne and an active member of the Mathematics Section of the American Nuclear Society (ANS). He also chaired the Expert Group on Monte Carlo Source Convergence.
The Argonne OutLoud public lecture series highlight the cutting edge research taking place
at Argonne and topics of interest to the community at large.
Questions about nuclear energy?
Have a question about nuclear energy but
couldn’t make the Argonne OutLoud public lecture
on Nov. 15? Send it to . We’ll be sure to pose it to our researchers, and we’ll respond to you personally.
“Getting to Know Nuclear Energy…” Lecture — Photo Gallery
About this Lecture
- Don't miss the opportunity for a unique insight into 70 years of Nuclear Energy History and the role Argonne National Laboratory played and still plays in it. A video recording of the lecture is now available online: WATCH LECTURE VIDEO NOW!
- Argonne OutLoud: Getting to Know Nuclear Energy: The Past, Present & Future - Lecture Flyer [913KB]
Nuclear Energy, Nuclear Energy History & Nuclear Reactors
- Check also our site about the Reactors Designed by Argonne National Laboratory and learn about the key role played by Argonne in nuclear energy research & development since the first day of its existence.
- Make sure to browse also the section about Argonne’s Nuclear Science & Technology Legacy.
- Advanced Reactor Concepts [ 1.9MB]
- Fuel Cycle Technology Program - at the DOE website
- Nuclear Energy Advanced Modeling & Simulation - at the DOE website
- Visit our Nuclear Energy Learning Resources web site for an extensive list of web sites and resources to learn about nuclear energy.
- Check out our collection of Posters and Fact Sheets recently presented at the Argonne Energy Showcase 2012
In the Press
from the shadows: Argonne’s quest to demystify nuclear energy
Article by Jennifer-Leigh Oprihory from Medill Reports including interviews and a wrap-up of the recent public lecture on nuclear energy held at Argonne -- Medill Reports (Dec. 12, 2012)
Last Modified: Thu, February 21, 2013 10:25 AM